It was mercury retrograde that made me a believer in astrological influence. When I first started this path so many decades ago, astrology had been placed in the “yeah, mayyyyybe?” file folder. I was experimenting with runestones, talking to spirits, but the idea that spinning planets out in space can influence patterns here on Earth was just a bit much. Heck, when I write it out I still find myself scratching my head a little. Then, I had a horrible and frustrating two weeks. Nothing was working. Everything I tried to push forward collapsed inwardly or became a tangled mess. Transportation plans were a mess and my car broke down. I was a member of a pagan group at the time and I was whining about my past 14 days when someone said something like, “You know it’s mercury retrograde, right?” They pointed me to an excellent astrological reference and urged that I look into it.
So, I looked it up and cross-referenced the astrological tidings with my journal I was keeping at the time. The correspondences were amazing. Here I was trying to plow forward with a bunch of yang energy during a tidal flood of yin energy! In the end, it caught my attention. What finalized the deal for me is when I would have a mercury rx period marked on my calendar and I would watch other people’s lives and plans go into a tailspin. I started keeping internal notes and started reading what I could on how to work with the energy in a positive way. In the end, and after navigating several retrogrades, I like to think I understand it a bit better. (This works up until the point where you FORGET about the upcoming mercury retrograde which, when you think about it, is hilarity in and of itself! See my previous post for all of that.)
Because of that last post, I decided to dowse out what I could of the coming retrograde period. On a scale of 1 – 10, this upcoming period registered a 5 for me personally. On a global scale it registered a 7.5 – 8. Due to this, I thought I would hurry up on my idea of sharing some of the ideas that help me get through a mercury retrograde instead of waiting till next week.
I won’t be getting into the astrological details. I’m not an astrology expert and you can find lots of information in several places online. I’ll list two of my favorites at the end of the post. The goal of this advice is to be practical, simple, day to day navigation during a mercury retrograde. Do with it what you will.
What are the key things that Mercury effects?
- Formal agreements and Contracts
- Travel and transportation
- Coding and computers
- New endeavors
- Straight Thinking
Any and or all of these items will go a bit bonkers during a mercury retrograde.
Key things to remember regarding Mercury Retrograde as it approaches.
- Bottom line – It is not a time for expansion. It is a time for reflection, staying put and cleaning out or up old messes. Anything that is begun during this time period will end up being a mess, will tangle or just be forgotten about when Mercury goes back direct. Slow and steady wins this race.
- If a trip, plan, party, etc is to occur during the retrograde but it is planned BEFORE the retrograde period then it should go rather smoothly. (Tickets purchased, hotel rooms booked, cars rented, etc) There will be hiccups but getting all the “ducks in a row” before the retrograde starts will ensure things will go much straighter than they would if you didn’t!
- For some reason, you will have a ton of what sounds like great ideas during this period of time. Alternatively, you might meet a bunch of great people or have a great first date. The crucial thing to remember is to not act on any of them! Write them down, list them, archive them and, when the retrograde period ends you can go back over the list and see how you feel about them. (During the retrograde period this will kind of feel like torture but if you do this, you will see what I mean in a few weeks.)
- Find loose ends and tie them up!
- Double check your car and get an oil change.
- Back up important files on your computer, especially things you might be working on “right now.” Double check your virus protection on your system. Give it a good scrubbing.
- Go over and review any and all plans during the time period. Take some time to get as many little details sorted out as you can.
- A retrograde period seems to have a peak time at the beginning and end. Things tend to settle in the few weeks between. A week or so before the energies begin to get a little cross-wired. At the end points, you will begin noticing all sorts of things beginning to go haywire and you may start hearing friends and family say things like, “Oh my god, what is going on? I can’t get anything done!” In between that, depending on other astrological connections occurring, the dust settles a bit, kinda, sort of.
What to do during a retrograde period for peace, harmony and sanity (for yourself and those around you.)
- Focus on settling back and working on things that have been half-forgotten or dusty. Some examples are…
- Cleaning out closets, sheds, filing cabinets and email inboxs
- Bringing out old craft projects and sorting out whether you still want to do them or not!
- Sorting an old collection.
- Turn energy inward and work on clearing out your internal spaces.
- Redo an old something. A project, a story, a plan.
- As you work on cleaning out older projects, plans etc, you might have the idea of starting something up again. This inspiration is good and very much part of the retrograde energy. However, trust me, unless it is life or death, DON’T DO IT! You’ll be wasting your time. As stated earlier, place it on the list and check it again in a few weeks. If it still sounds good, go for it then. Write it down and then go back to that nurturing yin energy of cleaning out and sorting.
- Plan on taking that trip or going to that convention! It’s ok. It’ll be fine (especially if everything was wrapped up well before the retrograde started.) However, do grab extra maps, batteries, an extra phone charger, etc and be ready for some delays here and there that might seem a bit out of the norm. The idea here is to be mindful of the prevalent energy and which leads us to the next step.
- Use this time to practice patience and trust. I know, I know, it’s a big one but just do it, ok? just think of the improvement you’ll have in five weeks! Don’t push at anything unless you just feel like testing this whole “mercury retrograde thing.”
- Do internal work. It’s a perfect time re-assess where you are and who you are. Just don’t take any action on it, not yet anyway!
- Watch how it effects others. Many years ago my workplace decided, right in the middle of a Mercury RX, to launch a new initiative and to have a large, full company meeting about it right away. It was an absolute disaster and the effects of it were one of the reasons the company collapsed years later.
In regards to dowsing and oracle work
- Be mindful of the energies occurring. Information and communication are bit jammed up. As long as you stick to review processes, cleaning and simple planning things tend to go well and, dare I say it, productively!
- Now is the time to assess and review energetic connections.
- Now is NOT the time to start that new dowsing project or that new oracle blog! (Yes, this is the voice of experience…)
Here are some great astrological sites I’ve found that have helped me along the way.
- For weekly astrology info this is my hands down favorite — Astrolblogick — http://www.astroblogick.com/astroblogick/
- A good page for Mercury RX info by Susan Miller. It was good to see a lot of similarity between my thoughts and experiences and her advice. – http://www.astrologyzone.com/forecasts/mercury.html
I hope this is helpful for someone. Just remember, internal not external, review instead of advance.